Apps of Cybertracker online don't catch the GPS locations (Lat -Lon)

Hello, I use Cybertracker since 15 years. Recently, I made Projects in Cybertracker online of the Projects I used with Cybertracker Classic.
I use the projects in the field on mobile phones (Samsung XCover 5 and Huawei Y5p). There is no problem with the GPS on those smartphones with other apps that use the GPS.
When I view the data in Cybertracker online, there is only one location with a dot on the map, even if the observations were made at different places. The latitude and longitude are the same as that of that only location.
The ā€˜trackā€™ of the app (that of Cybertracker online) on the phones is out, but the track of the same app of Cybertracker Classic on the same phones is active.
In the app settings of the projects (= GPS settings) I ticked off ā€˜Acquire and save GPS location with observation record saveā€™ and ā€˜Save timer track for sessionā€™.
The application checklists are ready to publish.
Anyone an idea what is going wrong with the location?

Thank you for helping me ,
Dirk Verroken

Hi Dirk,

A recent requirement by Google required us to make an update which broke the track functionality on Android devices older than 10. This is now fixed with the latest release (build 510).

Could you please update to that build and report back if you have any further issues?

Thanks!

Hi Justin,

Thank you for your rapid answer.

The two smartphones I use, are a bit more than 3 years old. And I use the latest release (510) on both devices.

Sadly, the reported problems continue to exist.

Dirk

Could you please send me a bug report from one of these devices? Thank you!

Hi,

Meanwhile, I sent you the bugreport you asked for.

I checked the coordinates of my records with Cybertracker and I found out that the GPS coordinates didnā€™t follow my position (= the position of the devices) since August the 25th 2024 and that concerns Cybertracker Classic as well as Cybertracker online on the two smartphones.

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

I have the same problem with a two year old Samsung. Have you found a solution?

Gerhard Pretorius

No, I didnā€™t find a solution. Resetting the app didnā€™t really solve the problem, can even cause more problems.
Emptying the cache of the app is helpful, but I think there is a bug in the app, as the error message on my phone says.
On one phone, now the app is working fine, but whereby, I donā€™t know.
On the other phone, with Cybertracker online it canā€™t even save a record anymore, after a reset.

Dirk Verroken

I have tried everything now, new CBT online account, re-installed the app on my phone, rewriting the app, Still nothing, all entries going to one coordinate point. My phoneā€™s GPS works fine for navigation and geotagging photoā€™s. I may have to abandon CBT after many years of use. I canā€™t work with unreliable programs, I now have to hit the road with my laptop and GIS to collect data, it will take me 4 times as long, many days. Itā€™s frustrating that thereā€™s no one to call.

Hello folks, Iā€™ve tried my best to find same problem as you mentioned, but my Huawei and my Google Nexus are working fine. I remember that years ago Samsung devices had some problem with CyberTracker and switched of mobile data. The problem belongs to the time server they cannot reached or got timeout in access. My solution was to reset the time server data with some separate app named ā€œGPS Testā€. But Iā€™m not sure if it helps already. My question to you is: in case of using CyberTracker with GPS, are you in access to internet via mobile data or not?
Holger, Germany

This appears to be an issue when using track timers - the system gets into a bad state if the timer was enabled when an update to the latest version happened. I am working on a solution.

In the meantime, clearing the cache and storage (via the Android system) should do the trick. Alternatively, you can manually install build 478 from here:
Download | CyberTracker Wiki

I am using Cybertracker with GPS and I can use mobile internet being in the field, but I am not using mobile internet for Cybertracker.
I upload the records via WiFi, when I am back at home, in the case of using Cybertracker online.
Dirk, The Netherlands

Dirk, I meant switch on GPS + mobile data both in the field. Samsung had a problem in the past when GPS was ON and mobile data was OFF. (Thats why some apps like Google Maps were working and CyberTracker not.)
But maybe Iā€™m wrong with my idea and Justin can fix the problem in software.

Ok, I understand what you mean. As I have mobile internet always on, when I am doing a track, I canā€™t jugde if the mobile internet has an influence on Cybertracker. Dirk

I can only tell that clearing the cache of Cybertracker helped and helps Cybertracker online working fine.
For example: this morning I started up my Samsung phone. I saw that Cybertracker online didnā€™t catch the coordinates. Then, it got worse, I wasnā€™t able to save a record with Cybertracker online any more.
So, I decided to clear the cache of Cybertracker:
I followed the steps below to clear the cache of Cybertracker.

1. Launch the Settings app, and then select Apps.
  2. Select the app Cybertracker.
  3. Tap Storage.
  4. Tap Clear cache.ā€™

After that procedure, Cybertracker online worked fine on my Samsung.

I know itā€™s a bit odd that one has to clear the cache, but for the moment, as Justin stated, itā€™s the only method for making work Cybertracker online on (a) Samung.

Dirk

We are waiting for Google to approve an update which should fix this issue. Those wanting to test it out in the meantime, please use this link to download the APK:

Thanks

Thank you, Justin. Iā€™ve tried it out on my Huawei and itā€™s working fine.

Dirk

1 Like

Thanks for the fast turnaround!

Google has approved build 511 and that is available on the Store now. Please let me know if you experience any issues with it.

1 Like

I cleared the cache and it worked thanks. When in the field I have GPS and mobile data on.

It works, but this morning after starting the Samsung phone, it didnā€™t work at all. So, I cleared the cache of CT. After that problem, it worked fine. I restarted the phone and then, it worked fine.
I found out that het GPS of the Samsung is slower than my Huawei. So, if it canā€™t have a GPS fix rapdily, it canā€™t save records.

Dirk