Optimizing Field Data Collection with Custom CyberTracker Forms

Hello everyone :slightly_smiling_face:,

I’m reaching out today to tap into your vast knowledge and experience as I delve into customizing CyberTracker forms for our field data collection. My goal is to create a more efficient and robust system for gathering high-quality data.

Project Focus:

• Tailored Forms: I’m building bespoke forms to address specific data collection needs. This involves incorporating a variety of field types, leveraging conditional logic to streamline workflows, and designing user-friendly interfaces for our field staff.
  • Data Accuracy is Paramount: Ensuring the accuracy and completeness of collected data is critical. I’m eager to learn about implementing robust validation rules to minimize errors and maintain data integrity.
  • Adaptability Across Devices: With the diverse field conditions our teams encounter, I want to ensure the forms function seamlessly across various devices (smartphones and tablets) and handle situations with intermittent connectivity.
  • Streamlined Data Flow: I’m also exploring ways to integrate CyberTracker with other systems or databases to expedite data transfer and bolster our data analysis capabilities.

Seeking Your Insights:

• Form Design Best Practices
  • Data Validation Techniques
  • Adaptability Strategies
  • Integration Tips

While I previously reviewed the discussion here: CyberTracker or Smart? :thinking: and from another site resource/blog cybersecurity tutorial, it didn’t quite address all my specific needs.

I believe your experience and guidance would be incredibly valuable in helping us optimize our field data collection process. Thank you :pray:in advance for your assistance! I’m truly looking forward to your recommendations and the opportunity to learn from your expertise.

Hi Isabella,

For “Form design best practices”, this usually comes down having widgets that your users are able to use. In addition, the most common approach given small screen sizes is one question per screen/page. Beyond that, one quickly runs into scenarios where you may be able to do a lot better with a custom app. For example, if your data collection is about highly repetitive bird sightings, then you might want to invest in something more custom. CyberTracker can get you a long way in that direction before you start writing your own app, but we would need to understand your requirements first.

“Data accuracy” is a complex topic. For example, it is common to get more information over time. This implies editing prior observations on the device or even validating data before ingesting it into the database. Some users have created their own validation pipelines and some technologies (like ODK Central) have built in mechanisms.

“Multi-device support” is not a large issue. CyberTracker and SMART Mobile work across iOS and Android devices - both phone and tablet. If you want a different user interface on Tablet versus phone, then you may need to do something custom.

“Data flow” is typically required for reporting and so it depends on what technologies you need to create reports in. CyberTracker Classic and SMART have all their reporting built in, but other systems like ODK and KoBo serve the data to things like PowerBI. All depends on your requirements.

CyberTracker’s strength is that it works in cases where traditional user interfaces do not. In that case, Form Design trumps all other requirements.

Cheers,
-Justin