Apps of Cybertracker online don't catch the GPS locations (Lat -Lon)

I am using Cybertracker with GPS and I can use mobile internet being in the field, but I am not using mobile internet for Cybertracker.
I upload the records via WiFi, when I am back at home, in the case of using Cybertracker online.
Dirk, The Netherlands

Dirk, I meant switch on GPS + mobile data both in the field. Samsung had a problem in the past when GPS was ON and mobile data was OFF. (Thats why some apps like Google Maps were working and CyberTracker not.)
But maybe I’m wrong with my idea and Justin can fix the problem in software.

Ok, I understand what you mean. As I have mobile internet always on, when I am doing a track, I can’t jugde if the mobile internet has an influence on Cybertracker. Dirk

I can only tell that clearing the cache of Cybertracker helped and helps Cybertracker online working fine.
For example: this morning I started up my Samsung phone. I saw that Cybertracker online didn’t catch the coordinates. Then, it got worse, I wasn’t able to save a record with Cybertracker online any more.
So, I decided to clear the cache of Cybertracker:
I followed the steps below to clear the cache of Cybertracker.

1. Launch the Settings app, and then select Apps.
  2. Select the app Cybertracker.
  3. Tap Storage.
  4. Tap Clear cache.’

After that procedure, Cybertracker online worked fine on my Samsung.

I know it’s a bit odd that one has to clear the cache, but for the moment, as Justin stated, it’s the only method for making work Cybertracker online on (a) Samung.

Dirk

We are waiting for Google to approve an update which should fix this issue. Those wanting to test it out in the meantime, please use this link to download the APK:

Thanks

Thank you, Justin. I’ve tried it out on my Huawei and it’s working fine.

Dirk

1 Like

Thanks for the fast turnaround!

Google has approved build 511 and that is available on the Store now. Please let me know if you experience any issues with it.

1 Like

I cleared the cache and it worked thanks. When in the field I have GPS and mobile data on.

It works, but this morning after starting the Samsung phone, it didn’t work at all. So, I cleared the cache of CT. After that problem, it worked fine. I restarted the phone and then, it worked fine.
I found out that het GPS of the Samsung is slower than my Huawei. So, if it can’t have a GPS fix rapdily, it can’t save records.

Dirk

Just to be clear, we do not want people to need to clear the cache or anything like that in order for CyberTracker to work.

I will get a Samsung device and see if I can reproduce this issue.

I cleared the cache of CT on my Samsung, but perhaps, if I waited (a bit) longer for having a GPS fix, it could have worked, without clearing the cache.
I don’t know, but on the Huawei, it worked immediately. So, I asked myself why not on the Samsung.

Dirk

I did another test. I turned my Samsung off, waited 3/4 hour and then, turned it on again. Now, there was no problem at all for Cybertracker online to work on the Samsung.

Dirk

Thanks for all the help with this issue, Dirk.

In case you were wondering what it was all for, the track is now something that will work even if CyberTracker is forced into the background or terminated. For example, if you take a phone call and this causes Android to terminate CyberTracker, the track will continue. Similarly, for ODK, KoBo and Survey123, users can capture lines and polygons with the same guarantee.

Cheers,
-Justin

2 Likes

Hello, I’ve been using CyberTracker for a long time, it’s amazing, but I still haven’t been able to solve the issue. Playstore has already updated to the new version, but despite clearing the cache, the error reappears, and it doesn’t detect the GPS. I’ve also used the version you shared on this forum, and it works for a day or two before showing the same problem again. I’m not sure if anyone has found a definitive solution. Thanks.

Can you please confirm that you are using build 1.0.512.

If your project does not contain any data, could you please try resetting your project using a long press on the project, then Reset? Select “state and data” and the hold down to reset.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi, I have also deleted the state. I completely formatted the devices to ensure that the information is fully erased, but the same issue keeps appearing. I have tested with versions 1.0.512 and 1.0.511, both show the same results.

Could you please send me a bug report?

Instructions here:
Troubleshooting | CyberTracker Wiki

1 Like

Hello, I noticed that Cybertracker has been updated to version 1.0.514 (versión 1.0.514). Does this version already fix the GPS issue?

Yes, we do not know of any issues with builds greater than 512. If you are seeing an issue with the GPS, please let us know.